Green lentil/moong daal curry (vegan).
- 1 – 1.5 cups cooked green lentils/moong daal
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 1 green chilli, Sriracha to taste if you like it more spicy
- half red onion & 1 clove garlic
- Small piece of ginger (1 inch or smaller, you can use ginger powder as well)
- jeera (cumin seeds), salt and black pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons Curry masala powder (I use Great Value)
- 1-2 tablespoons canola/vegetable oil
Pressure cook the green lentils (I wait for three whistles before turning it off – as my Mom taught me ;)) You can boil these as well but it will take longer than using a pressure cooker.
Heat the oil. Add jeera and stir until fragrant. Add onions, garlic and salt, fry until slightly brown. Add diced ginger and chopped green chilli. Add the curry masala powder. Stir, stir, stir.
Blend the tomatoes (I did in my Magic Bullet) until pureed. Add them to the mix above. Let simmer until the tart taste goes away.
Add the lentils. Salt and pepper to taste. Sriracha if you require more spiciness. Simmer some more.
You can have this with roti, rice, or even eat it as a nice chunky soup! I added some Indian mango pickle at the side there. 🙂
Have a great week!